Monday, February 21, 2011

Home Decor Projects: Cork Board


An early project was a bulletin board made out of wine corks. I got the idea from my decor-savvy best friend Brenna, and then luckily got a job working at an Italian restaurant where they decorated with left over corks! There were window boxes and planters full of them, and the generous owner let me take many home. Brenna also gave me all her extra ones which had already been cut in half. As I don't have a band saw (or whatever you might use to cut corks), I left all of mine whole and created a tic-tac-toe pattern.


Materials:
whole wine corks
cut wine corks
square piece of black foam core (Hobby Lobby will cut it for you)
4 black frame brackets (these come in sets of two at Hobby Lobby so you can choose your frame's dimensions)
frame hardware (comes free with the brackets)
hot glue gun
wire for hanging

The photos show how the board is basically made. One tricky part is getting the frame to fit around the corks. I had to guess at the frame size to buy, and ended up going to the store twice to get the right size. In the end, though, it was a cheap project that would make a great gift for anyone who loves wine!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

My dear cousin, I do believe that if there is any reason for you to get me a gift this would be a great choice! lol, love it! Ash