These began as a Christmas request from my sister-in-law for some long-cuffed convertible glove/mittens, also called "glittens" (or perhaps mloves). I made a bold decision while wandering around Target one night, thinking to myself that I could more easily make such a pair than I could find in a store, and for cheaper too! I left Target and went to Michaels, bought the perfect color yarn, then went home hoping that a free pattern existed. I was lucky to find this pattern, which with some slight adaptations turned out to be perfect! I was not so lucky with my yarn choice, though, as the Super Bulky yarn worked up to make oven-mitt sized gloves. Not good! So as I hinted in a previous post, that yarn became other things and I bought a new yarn. After my sister-in-law was so happy with her pair (she wears them every day!), my husband and then my mom requested a pair also. I do not have a photo of my sister-in-law's pair, but I will include details of what yarn I used and what changes I made to each set of glittens.
(1) SIL's glittens
yarn: Lionbrand Homespun in Lagoon
hook size: H (5mm)
changes: I made the cuff longer by beginning with a chain of 20 instead of only 13.
I also made each of the fingers a bit longer by adding two more rows to each.
comments: These gloves fit well and are warm, but the yarn is not holding up as well as I hoped. They are showing loose wisps from daily wearing.
(2) Hubby's glittens
yarn: Lionbrand Fishermen's Wool in Oak Tweed
hook size: I (5.5mm)
changes: I made the cuff a little bit longer (a chain of 15 to begin). I also made each finger a little wider by adding an extra chain in the web of each finger.
comments: I had to use a bigger hook because my husband's hands are larger than the pattern is designed for. However, the thinner yarn choice, though it wears better, makes for some thin spots in the gloves. I plan to line them with a very thin wool material to keep out the wind better.
(3) Mom's glittens
yarn: Paton's Classic Wool in Jade
hook size: H (5mm)
changes: To make these more feminine, I changed the cuff. I began with a foundation single crochet of 25 stitches (awesome fsc tutorial here), then used Lionbrand's Solid Scallop stitch for 10 rows. When at the end, I slip stitched the two sides together, flipped the cuff right side out, and I was right where I needed to be to start the palm part! The foundation single crochet is great to work from both sides, so this was perfect. I just squeezed in an extra single crochet in the first round to bring the total to 26 (like the pattern says).
comments: These are my favorite so far- I'm just waiting to hear my mom's review of how they work!