Just a few weeks ago I finished this tote bag as a project carry-all for craft night with my friends. This was a major stash-busting project- more so than I anticipated! I began with almost a full skein of some cheap medium-weight sage green yarn (I forget the brand) and a decent amount of some similar lavendar yarn. Then I found this pattern on the Lion Brand yarn website (one of my favorite places to find patterns, if you haven't noticed).
I thought I'd have about enough yarn to finish the project, but as I started going along, I realized I would run out of the green yarn. SO I thought I would be sneaky and try to tuck a too-bright-for-my-taste goldenrod yellow yarn inside each pocket. Then I decided to sew in a lining so that you couldn't tell the difference from the inside. This got me a little further, but I was still running low! So I incorporated some other colors and mix-and-matched my way to a complete bag. No joke, I had less than a foot left of each yarn once I made a few flower embellishments. Stash-busting project indeed!
After all the stress of sparing every length of yarn that I could, I am happy with the result! Having added more colors makes the bag more interesting and fun. A great project for early spring.
For the flower embellishments, I got the large flower pattern from here, the blue flower from here, and the dark purple one from here (I added a french knot of yellow yarn in the center). For the lining, I again used this tutorial.