Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sewing Projects: Infinity Scarf

It's been a few weeks!  I've been so busy making things that I haven't had any time to post about them.  I guess that's a good thing, although crafting under a time constraint is a little less than relaxing sometimes.  Anyway, before the busyness of Mother's Day craft projects set in, I had time to make this infinity scarf.  What's the bonus about this project, besides having a new wardrobe addition?  It cost me nothing to make!  Here's how:

In our basement is a box full of things we've been meaning to donate.  In the box was this short-sleeved zip-up hoodie, which had shrunk in the wash, causing the zipper to be awkwardly bunchy:


I've been wishing I had time (and money) to buy some new spring scarves, particularly one that won't hang down in front and get in my way when I'm working.  After I found this tutorial, I looked through my stash of unwanted clothes and found the sweatshirt.  Perfect!

The project was super simple.  I didn't really follow the tutorial, but used it for inspiration.  Here are the steps:

1. I just took out the main seams at the bottom of the sweatshirt and around the sleeves and zipper (using a seam ripper).

2. Since I had less of the pink fabric, I cut out the largest rectangle I could, then cut out a green rectangle to match.

3. With right sides together, I sewed up the two long sides with 1/4 inch seam.

4. I flipped the scarf right-side out, then folded the last 1 inch on one side to the inside and pressed.

5. I stuck the unfolded end about an inch into the folded end, pinned, and tried it on.  It was a bit too long, so I cut off a bit of the unfolded end, put it back in to the other end, and sewed across the opening with 1/2 inch seam.  That's it!

No comments: